lout-users

Re: lout and PDF

From: Christopher Wolfe
Subject: Re: lout and PDF
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 11:48:56 -0400

Jeff,
Greetings.  Here are my thoughts, FWIW.

As I understand it, the challenge of converting PDF files outside of lout is storage.

Here is the situation I face. In a newspaper or magazine, images (EPS or PDF files) live on a separate server. (Usually an OPI or DAM server.) Images often change during the day, so it is actually bad to convert them ahead of time. That would risk picking up an old version of the image. Rather, I convert images at the time they are included/needed in a Lout document.

Converting the PDF files outside of Lout run requires me to find a temporary home for them on my server. There are several negative consequences to this.

I'd prefer to convert them in-line. The conversion can be piped (or chained) with a hook in Lout.

--Chris

Jeff Kingston wrote:
What message are you replying to?

One sent by Cichelli.  I thought it went to the list, but
perhaps it came only to me.

I made a version of lout that works with previews.
What does that mean?

It means EPS files with previews, as defined by Adobe.
In the Second Edition of the PostScript book (I don't
have the current edition), these are defined in
Appendix H.5.  Lout doesn't currently handle previews
in EPS files.

Jeff