lout-users

Re: lout and PDF

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: lout and PDF
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:51:36 +1100

> I made a version of lout that can include PDF files.
> It detects PDF files by their first few bytes...
> It uses the pdftops program from the open source xpdf package
> http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/ to convert PDF files to temporary
> EPS files.

This is clever but it seems like a bridge too far to me.  After
all, Lout is just one tool in a chain and these sorts of things
can be done outside it.  What do others think?

> I made a version of lout that works with previews.

This is more in Lout's line, since it is just extending the
range of EPS files, as defined by Adobe, that can be included.
The format defined in the PostScript book is horrible (what
were they thinking?) but at least it is some kind of standard.

Jeff