lout-users

Re: "symbol has reached its maximum expansion"

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: "symbol has reached its maximum expansion"
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:43:11 +1100

> I fear that my thesis may be too "heavy" for Lout

I can't promise that this will never happen.  However, large
documents including books of several hundred pages have been
set successfully with Lout.

> It gave me the obscure error "symbol has reached its maximum
> expansion (1000)"

I suppose you mean

    maximum depth of symbol expansion (1000) reached

You can work around this by changing the line

    #define MAX_DEPTH 1000

in file z08.c to

    #define MAX_DEPTH 2000

and recompiling.  I'll take a look at the @FootNoteThrough option
to see why it is so expensive in stack depth.  If I can make it
go faster for the next release, I will, but no promises.

> My references database, when finished, will have about 180 K

Funny, mine is also about 180K.  It gives me no trouble.

Jeff