lout-users

Re: Lout on Mac OS X

From: Kein-Hong Man
Subject: Re: Lout on Mac OS X
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:51:51 +0800

Hi all,

Jeff Kingston wrote:
[snip snip]
It's primitive but you're in control.  Also there is a PostScript
command to print the stack out which would be useful in this case.
The operand stack, that is.

I've checked the problem, it appears to be a Ghostscript problem, at least in my case. I'm using Ghostscript 8.54 on Win32. Not a Lout problem.

My recollection was wrong; I dug up the older PS package files that I did for SF, and they all failed in the same way -- so I believe what I really did was to check that PDF works for every page, and then I assumed PS worked because it could be converted...

Anyway, opening the User's Guide PDF file in GSview doesn't work also, you'd get failures for the same pages. So I've prepared the two relevant pattern/texture examples from PLRM (attached) and tested them. The PLRM examples fails too.

The PaintType 1 pattern barely works, while the PaintType 2 pattern doesn't work at all. Specifically, for the latter, deleting "fill" in PaintProc makes the error go away, but try as I might, I could not make Ghostscript render any pattern.

So I think that while PS conversion appears to pretty much work, there are still some serious issues with PS viewing. I plan to grab the Ghostscript sources for reading, and fiddle with the PLRM examples in the next couple of days, but I don't think there is any quick solution for this. Perhaps searching Ghostscript's mailing lists might shed some light on this issue.

BTW, in the PS sources, I see that "pgsave restore" is used before the "showpage". What does a save-restore pair next to each other do?

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)