lout-users

Re: alternative monospaced font?

From: Mark Summerfield
Subject: Re: alternative monospaced font?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 07:37:32 +0100

On Thursday 27 July 2006 22:28, Jeff Kingston wrote:
> > Is the a way to use an alternative monospaced font
> > other that Courier in Lout?
>
> You can use any font you like

You can use any "PostScript" font. (I don't believe you can use TrueType or
OpenType for example, but I hope I am wrong!)

> , anywhere you like.  If you
> mean "can I change the font invoked by the @F symbol",
> then yes, look at option @FixedWidthFont in the setup files.

I use my own fixed-width font called Crystal and this requires me to do the
following:

(1) I have a file called "myfontdefs.ld" which contains the following text:

{ @FontDef
    @Tag { Crystal-Base }
    @Family { Crystal }
    @Face { Base }
    @Name { Crystal }
    @Metrics { Crystal.afm }
    @Mapping { LtLatin1.LCM }
}

(2) In the same directory as myfontdefs.ld I have Crystal.afm and Crystal.pfa.

(3) In any lout document that will use my font I add this line:

@Database @FontDef{myfontdefs} # Note, no .ld suffix or path

(4) And when I run lout I do so with these options:

lout -D/home/mark/.fonts -F/home/mark/.fonts

(/home/mark/.fonts contains myfontdefs.ld and the Crystal.* files)

If you are using your fixed width font for displaying source code you might
also want to make sure that you delete any ligatures that are listed in
the .afm file.

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd., www.qtrac.eu