lout-users

Re: Book covers in Lout ?

From: Carl Glassberg
Subject: Re: Book covers in Lout ?
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:45:33 -0700

I am still having trouble with this probably because of my inexperience with Lout.
Getting errors about "word gap" or "not enough width."

Carl

At 12:08 AM 7/18/2005, Jeff Kingston wrote:
> I can't help thinking I should use @Diag or something else
> to join the smaller rectangles

The two obvious choices here are @Tbl, with the three rectangles
as three columns, separated by zero-width margins;  or raw lout,
which in outline form would most simply be

   book_height @High {
     back_cover_width @Wide back_cover | spine_width @Wide spine |
     front_cover_width @Wide front_cover
   }

To place this somewhere on the print page, you could use the
margin options in the setup file.  @Place should work but it
seems a strange way to do it.

> 1) No centering of text

The usual way to centre text is with @CentredDisplay, or
you could use @RawCentredDisplay to avoid the space above
and below.  Or if you want to stay within raw Lout, you
could try

    |0.5rt centred-text |

which is basically a three-column table with the second
column centred.

> 2) The lettering on the spine is not correct in orientation

If I understand this correctly you just need to enclose
the spine text in "90d @Rotate", or perhaps "270d @Rotate".

> Also, I have hard-wired the measurements for the cover (bad)

You need a definition, something like this, in your mydefs file:

    def @BookCover
        named coverwidth {}
        named spinewidth {}
        named bookheight{}
        named backcover {}
        named spine {}
        named frontcover {}
    {

        bookheight @High {
            coverwidth @Wide backcover |
            spinewidth @Wide spine |
            coverwidth @Wide frontcover
        }
    }

You could put more formatting stuff in this definition,
e.g. you could put your 90d @Rotate here, perhaps put
a margin around it, etc.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Kingston