lout-users

Re: Margin kerning

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Margin kerning
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:39:38 +0200

Hi,

Michael Piotrowski <address@hidden> writes:

> I agree.  In my test document it actually happens twice in one
> paragraph that the line ends with an ellipsis, and the ellipses in the
> margin look strange and might even be misleading.

Or maybe people should avoid using ellipses?  ;-)

> It might be interesting how this is handled in InDesign, but I don't
> have easy access to a Windows PC or Mac to install the demo version.

I don't either.

> A per-document user-editable table (i.e., not per-font) might already
> provide more than enough customizability.

I would even say "more than needed".  ;-)  I'm not sure many people would
be willing to specify this sort of parameter by hand, for each and every
character.

Another solution might be to add heuristics to avoid margin-kerning
glyphs that are "unreasonably wide".  "Unreasonably wide" could be
defined as "wider than `x'" for instance.  This same heuristic could be
applied to subsequent characters also.  For instance, a quote followed
by a comma may be narrower than `x' and therefore eligible as a whole
for margin kerning.  On the contrary, the ellipsis glyph may be too wide
and will never be margin-kerned.

I'll give it a try unless you think it doesn't make sense.

Thanks,
Ludovic.