lout-users

Re: Margin kerning

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: Margin kerning
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:56:18 +0200

> Intuitively, I doubt applying margin-kerning to more than one character
> would be a good idea, because it may lead to having characters too much
> protruded.  Likewise, it is debatable whether ellipsis should be
> margin-kerned (as in the small example I posted).

I agree.  In my test document it actually happens twice in one
paragraph that the line ends with an ellipsis, and the ellipses in the
margin look strange and might even be misleading.

> In [1], the author advocates that each glyph should have its own
> "protrusion factor" determining how much it should be shifted
> outside the margin.  But then, this is getting more complicated,
> especially since AFM don't provide such information...

It might be interesting how this is handled in InDesign, but I don't
have easy access to a Windows PC or Mac to install the demo version.

A per-document user-editable table (i.e., not per-font) might already
provide more than enough customizability.

Greetings

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                               <address@hidden>
Public key at <http://www.dynalabs.de/mxp/pubkey.txt>