lout-users

Latin Modern fonts

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Latin Modern fonts
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:17:04 +0100

Hi,

While using the Latin Modern fonts (Knuth' Computer Modern fonts
augmented with accented and other European characters [1]  --  note that
these fonts do not have duplicate kerning pairs as described in [2]),
I'm having problems with ligatures (this problem was already described
in the past [3]).  Basically, Lout prints a number of warning messages
such as:

  49,15: ignoring unencoded ligature character quoteleft.dup in font file
/usr/share/lout/font/lmr10 (line 74)
  49,15: ignoring unencoded ligature character IJ in font file
/usr/share/lout/font/lmr10 (line 84)
  49,15: ignoring unencoded ligature character ff in font file
/usr/share/lout/font/lmr10 (line 113)

Warning messages could just be ignored.  However, when Lout says it
ignores the `ff' ligature, it ends up also ignoring the `fi' and `fl'
ligatures which appear right after on the same line.  Here is line 113
of the AFM file:

  C 102 ; WX 305.55556 ; N f ; B 33 0 357 705 ; L f ff ; L i fi ; L k f_k ; L l
fl ;

This means that Lout does not produce all those ligatures and instead
ouputs `fi' as if it were `{ f }{ i }', and so on.

I guess it's again a bug in the AFM files, not in Lout.  ;-)
Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,
Ludovic.

[1] http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=uselmfonts