lout-users

Re: Suppressing ligatures while keeping kerning?

From: Reimer Behrends
Subject: Re: Suppressing ligatures while keeping kerning?
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 12:36:06 -0400

Stephan Pabst wrote:

Hi all,
I am currently looking for a way to disable ligatures
in certain words while not suppressing kerning as well.

The quickest way, I think, would be to remove ligature information from the AFM file. That is, if the AFM file has a line such as:

C 102 ; WX 600 ; N f ; B 97 0 506 625 ; L f ff ; L i fi ; L l fl ;

(C is the character code; WX is the horizontal width; N is the postscript name of the character; B is the bounding box; L is ligature information)

then remove all the "L" parts so that it becomes:

C 102 ; WX 600 ; N f ; B 97 0 506 625 ;

Note that you need not (and should not!) modify the original AFM file, but simply create a copy and a new entry in the font database. This way you essentially have a font with and one without ligatures.

                        Reimer Behrends