lout-users

Re: Problems with @Figure, @Verbatim and more

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Problems with @Figure, @Verbatim and more
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:15:29 +1000

> I also wondered, whether there is an equivalent for "N @Wide @Scale"
> that would fit something into a specified vertical space, which would
> sometimes be comfortable for pictures.

You could try

    -90 @Rotate N @Wide @Scale 90 @Rotate { whatever }

but then you need to be sure that the horizontal space will
not go wrong.  Lout is quite unable to take both page width
and height into account with @Scale, because the scaled
objects are placed into galleys of known width but unlimited
height and @Scale'd there before being promoted onto pages.

> Also, I tried @Perl and @Ruby instead of @Verbatim, which somehow
> worked, but the lines would end up concatenated, with the whole source
> being block-formatted.

This sounds like a side-effect of the use of @PP, which puts
whatever follows it into a paragraph.  This won't happen if
you use

    @IndentedDisplay @Ruby { ... }

or

    @DP
    @Ruby { ... }

or whatever.

I can't really comment on your problems with @Figure, I'd have
to look at it in detail.  But I'd echo the suggestion of someone
else to turn page optimization off.  In that case the algorithm
for placing figures is very simple, it just takes each figure as
it comes to it and places it where @Location says, unless it
doesn't fit there, in which case it tries to find a similar
location later in the sequence of pages.  It should really be
very predictable.  If you are convinced that there is something
wrong with long sequences of figures, package up a small example
and post it and I'll take a look at it.

Jeff Kingston

ps I mean 90d, not 90.  I am not sure that a sequence of
figures all with @Location { Display } is the right way
to go typographically.  If you really want it it might
be best to place a @DP between each one, or if that makes
too much space, use the Lout primitive // symbol instead.
I can see that Lout might get confused here, and the @DP
or // should simplify things for it.