lout-users

Re: Unwanted space in a figure

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Unwanted space in a figure
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 09:17:09 +1100

Mark Summerfield wrote:

> If you lout the lout below you'll notice that the gap between the
> diagram itself and the figure caption is unexpectedly large.

This is caused by the parts of the diagram after //, as you can
verify by deleting those parts.  The short answer is that the
figures you've got after // don't all use the translate option,
instead their outlines are translated.  Lout doesn't know that
and it thinks it's printing actual circles etc. after the //,
hence the extra space.

I suppose the simplest patch is to define a symbol

   def @ZeroVertical right x { @OneRow { //0io x //0io } }

and to enclose everything after the // in @ZeroVertical { ... }.
That symbol uses overstriking to fool Lout into thinking that
its right parameter has zero vertical size.

I wonder though whether it might not be better to reorganize the
diagram a bit.  It looks more like six separate diagrams that
happen to be in the same table, to me, than two diagrams.  I
would be going for a set of six separatate definitions, each
holding one diagram, like this:

    def @FlatCap
    {
        @Diag { ... // ... }
    }

and so on.  Of course, you'd still have to make sure that each
of the six diagrams did not have unwanted white space, but at
least you could do that calmly outside the maelstrom of @Tbl.
Later on when someone needs an EPS of each diagram separately,
you'll be much better placed.  At present the diagrams are
all tangled up together.

Generally speaking I am a fan of placing complex diagrams
inside definitions.  It makes everything a lot clearer.

Jeff Kingston