lout-users

Some news about compiling Lout 3.28 on DJGPP

From: K. H. Man
Subject: Some news about compiling Lout 3.28 on DJGPP
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:56:51 +0800

Hi all,

I've been fiddling with Lout over the past few weeks, and managed
to port some documents to Lout 3.28; a NetHack reference card and
a Lua 4 Quick Reference Guide.

I compiled Lout 3.28 with DJGPP (gcc 3.2.2) and tested it by
processing all the supplied documentation. Lout dies by crashing
the computer when the user's guide is being processed. It appears
to be due to the default stack size of DJGPP (512K).

Unfortunately, DPMI does not allow stacks to grow by allocating
more physical pages on-the-fly, so the computer crashes. Changing
it to 2MB (or more) solves the crashing problem. I've run it many
times now without any problem.

Run time on a Cyrix/300MHz/128MB is 7:02 for the user's guide.

I have downloaded the gnuish Lout 3.12 distribution, so perhaps if
I find some time in the next few days I might cook up a
DJGPP/gnuish distribution for Lout 3.28.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)