lout-users

Re: character mapping to pdf

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: character mapping to pdf
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:06:50 +0100

Mark Summerfield <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wednesday 22 January 2003 14:46, address@hidden wrote:
>> When I view a pdf version of my document in Acrobat, lists with bullets
>> turn into characters from the extended character set.  Some of the letter
>> combinations like "fi" also get remapped.  I'm using Ghostscript to convert
>> lout ps to pdf.  Is there some setting I need to change?

I don't rembemer anymore if this is the behavior, but Acrobat 4 on
UNIX did strange things with embedded fonts when not running in the C
locale.  Acrobat 5 doesn't have this problem.

> I think you may find problems with other ligatures when using ps2pdf; I
> always check fl, cy, iv and fi. If I get problems with these I use
> @OneCol etc. which helps. I also found that ps2pdf includes this on the
> command line:
>     -c .setpdfwrite
> I don't know what it is supposed to do, but for me at least (with gs
> 5.20 to 7.04) it causes all ligatures to be messed up. So instead of
> using ps2pdf I use my own script which does the same thing but doesn't
> include that command line argument. This still leaves some ligatures
> messed up, but far fewer.

Hmm, strange.  I don't have any problems with ligatures (or anything
else) using Ghostscript 7.04 and the included ps2pdf script, and most
of my documents include fonts beyond the Standard 13 (although none
that have cy ligatures).

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                                  <address@hidden>
Public key at <http://www.dynalabs.de/mxp/pubkey.txt>