lout-users

Re: adding fonts

From: Albert Kinderman
Subject: Re: adding fonts
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 20:25:42 -0700

Ben Saylor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just found lout a couple of days ago, and I really like it so far.
> However, I'm having difficulty using nonstandard fonts.  Here's what
> I've done so far:
>
> ./capstones.lt is my document.  It has @Include{mydoc} at the top.
>
> cp /usr/share/lout/include/doc ./mydoc and made the following changes:
>
>   @InitialFont  { GoudyOldStyle Base 12p }
>
>   @Database @FontDef  { myfontdefs }  # replacing @SysDatabase{fontdefs}
>
> ./myfontdefs.ld:
>
>   { @FontDef
>       @Tag { GoudyOldStyle-Base }
>       @Family { GoudyOldStyle }
>       @Face { Base }
>       @Name { Goudy-Old-Style-Normal }
>       @Metrics { "/"usr"/"X11R6"/"lib"/"X11"/"fonts"/"Type1"/"goudyo.afm }
>       @Mapping { LtLatin1.LCM }
>   }
>
> Now, when I run "lout capstones.lt > capstones.ps" I get the following
> error:
>
>   lout file "myfontdefs.ld" (from "mydoc" line 376, from "capstones"
>   line 1): 6,16: fatal error: EndFontMetrics missing from font file
>   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/goudyo.afm
>
> However, the last line in goudyo.afm is EndFontMetrics.  What could be
> the problem?  Am I even on the right track for adding new fonts? :)
>
> I'm using version 3.25 on debian unstable.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

Let me guess.  You transported your file through a windows (DOS)
system.  There is now a carriage return and a line feed at the end of
the  EndFontMetrics line.  Remove it and you will be fine.  This is a
known problem.

Al

--
Albert Kinderman             California State University, Northridge
Systems and Operations Management          address@hidden