lout-users

Re: Formatting for A5

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Formatting for A5
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:03:04 +0300

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 15:07:00 +0100, Robert Feldt wrote:

> Any hints or "style files" for formatting Lout's output for (roughly) A5
> output? My thesis will need to be printed in (a size close to) A5 and I'd
> like to be able to get PS files from Lout in this format directly. I'd
> also like "cut marks" outside of the A5 page area to make things simpler
> for the guys printing and binding it.

dsf doesn't provide for this.  Things like @PageBackground or
@PageEnclose applies to the "body" of the page (inside margins).

I'd use lout to format the document for its real page size and just
use a postprocessign step that takes a DSC structured document and
places it centered on a paper of specified size (A4 in your case I
guess), adding the cut marks.

Actually, pstops(1) from PS Utils already does almost what you want,
but not quite.  E.g. with assuming doc.ps was formatted for a5 paper:

    pstops -pa5 -d '(87.5pt,123.5pt)' doc.ps \
        | sed 's/A5 420 595/A4 595 842/' > doc-a4.ps

will place a5 document centered on a4 paper with a border (-d option)
around the original page. Pipe through the sed adjust the paper size
declared in the document (pstops keeps original a5).

The code for border that pstops generates is

userdict/PStoPSclip{0 0 moveto
 421.000000 0 rlineto 0 595.000000 rlineto -421.000000 0 rlineto
 closepath}put initclip

now you only need to replace that with code that draws "outwardly"
protruding cut marks.

You might want to hack pstops and extend it to uspport what you need
or write a simple trow-out perl script to massage the pstops output.

SY, Uwe