lout-users

Re: Lout formatting questions

From: Albert Kinderman
Subject: Re: Lout formatting questions
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 09:03:52 -0800

Sébastien Pierre wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have already asked this question but had no answer so far :(
> I have looked inside Lout User Manual for the following features:
>
>    - Specify nested lists beginning and ending gap (to be smaller
> than it's parent's)
>    - Specify beginning and ending gap for @Heading

cat lout/include/doc |grep gap

shows that there are gaps for

paragraphs, displays, lists (outside and between items), and many
other items.

However, there are not separate gaps for outer and inner lists (I
am not an expert, but I do not think lout knows the difference.
This is not a technical explanation, but think of a list as an
object, so whether it is placed on the page, in a display or
inside another list, it will be the same.)

I frequently have lists of the form

@NumberedList
@ListItem { [some text]
        @AlphaList
        @ListItem { [text] }
        @ListItem { [text] }
        @EndList
@RawEndList

The RawEndList prevents a double gap at the bottom.  You can
always insert your own vertical spacing within (not between) the
list items if you want to fine tune the gaps.  If I wanted to use
the same gaps on a consistent basis, I would set @ListOuterGap and
@ListGap to the smallest gap you would normally use in either the
system doc file or your customized mydoc file and then add the
additional gaps with your own spacing, e.g., //.1fx (which would
add a gap 1/10 of the current font size).  See the experts guide
for examples of the use of //.

Al

--
Albert Kinderman  California State University, Northridge
    Department of Systems and Operations Management