lout-users

Re: linux system problems

From: J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)
Subject: Re: linux system problems
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 23:24:53 +0100

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 21:50:02 +0100, Erich Hoffmann wrote:
> Now I find the following (big) file in my home directory:
>
> ----------->cite
>
> -rw--r--r-- 1 erich erich 1836856 Nov 27 20:16 diagsddddd @Include
> {\1_einlei.lou } \\
> @Include { 2_fall.lou }  \\
> # @Include { 3_autonomie.lou } _pages.ps  \\
>
> ---------->end cite
>
> (The line breaks are original, I marked them with \\ )
>
> I don't understand the file, and I can neither delete nor rename etc. it
> as ,,erich`` nor as ,,root``, the error message always says that the file
> doesn't exist!

Hmm... maybe it's time to submit a definition of "quoting hell" to the
Jargon file maintainer...
In any case, that's what you're in at the moment. A few of the characters
in that filename have special meanings in some or all shells. In order to
refer to the file properly, you'd need to quote all of these characters.

The easiest way to remove it though is probably "rm --interactive diags*"
and answering yes at the right point.

Some shells, in particular zsh, have very good tab completion. In such a
shell, typing "rm diags" and then hitting the tab key completes the name,
properly quoted.

HTH,
Ray
(who thinks address@hidden is probably a more relevant place
to ask questions like this)
--
Pinky, Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
I think so Brain, but "instant karma" always gets so lumpy.