lout-users

Re: Repeatedly including an EPS file

From: Henk Schar
Subject: Re: Repeatedly including an EPS file
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 23:41:33 -0700

> I've implemented this, following the Adobe Technote, for the next release
> as a core feature of Lout.  You put
>
>     @IncludeGraphicRepeated { su_crest.eps }
>
> at the start of the document but otherwise use @IncludeGraphic as
> usual.  This line has no effect on the appearance of the document,
> but it makes the output shorter when @IncludeGraphic { su_crest.eps }
> appears repeatedly.  Lout takes care of all the issues described in
> Uwe's mail: the bounding box, the string size, etc.
>
> Thanks to Uwe for the pioneer work that made it feasible for me to
> add this feature in a few hours' work.
>
> Jeff Kingston

This is great news!
Basically you are using forms to store the eps images.

There is actually another benefit and it does affect the appearance of a
document. This happens when you are producing PDF files and you
include bitmap graphics like screenshots. When these are printed on a
non-postscript printer then Acrobat will print them at 72 dpi irrespective
of th number of pixels in the picture or the size it is printed at.
If you use forms however, you get the full resolution of the bitmap
on the printer. (I am not talking about Distiller reducing the resolution
of the bitmap to compress the size of the file, it also happens with
compression and/or downlampling turned of).

I tested this two years ago with Acrobat 3.02.
I did the same thing last week with Acrobat 4 and could not reproduce
the problem, so maybe Adobe solved it.

One thing is not so clear to me though: does the first
@IncludeGraphicRepeated
actually result in a graphic or is it the next @IncludeGraphic that does the
actual work? Why can't I use @includeGraphicRepeated repeatedly instead?

Great work Jeff, I love Lout. I started using it a few weeks ago and I have
almost read the manual now. I used Latex until I was forced to use Word.

Since I want to make PDF files mainly, I decided to uninstall Word and use
Loud instead for all my work. I like the compact size, the small number
of files and the fact that NO installation program is needed.
I love the fact that the power of Postscript is available to manipulate
anything (text, graphics and images) on the page.

Keep up the good work.

Henk Schär