lout-users

Re: Sentence-end punctuation

From: Giovanni Salmeri
Subject: Re: Sentence-end punctuation
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 21:14:38 +0200

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:46:45 +0200
Michael Piotrowski <address@hidden> wrote:
> I just noticed that for all languages except French, langdefs contains
> the same sentence-end definitions as for English.  When using
> TeX-style spacing, this means that a larger space is automatically
> used after:
>
>    . : ! ? .) ?) !) .' !' ?'
>
> However, is this behavior really appropriate for these languages?  I'm
> only sure about German, and for German it should be the same as for
> French.

Also for Italian, and, AFAIK, Spanish. I suspect that most languages do
not use a larger space at the end of a sentence.

By the way, here are some little corrections to do in standard.ld (the
line commented out is the one which actually appears in the file):

#    Italian    @Yield { Contenuto }
    Italian     @Yield { Indice }
#    Italian    @Yield { Elenco delle Figure }
    Italian     @Yield { Elenco delle figure }