lout-users

Lout programming tutorial

From: franck
Subject: Lout programming tutorial
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 12:54:59 +0100

>If anyone reading this has grasped a particular
>aspect of Lout (no matter how trivial you *think*
>it may be)

I've got a very trivial one: it helped me tremendously
to understand that Lout placing symbols are really
two dimensional. For ages, I was bemused by the 2^n
example you find early in the docs, until I understood
it's really a grid:

 {} n
 2

I got that by reading the old implementation paper
where it is described how two views of components are
built (2 ^ n is as much (({} 2) (n)) as it is (({} n}(2)).
Although it's sort of written in the other docs, it took
me that to realise how essential it is. (Well, assuming
I got it right.)

I don't think we need a book-size thing, there is just
a need for a tutorial that allows people to get the
basic concepts (functional paradigm, galleys, layout
symbols). Once you got the concepts, the rest is detail
which the existing manuals cover well. (I guess, I'm
not an experienced Lout programmer.)

(It's very hard to write a good tutorial for these
things though, like trying to teach functional
programming to an imperative programmer -- most
functional tutorials are total failures from a
learning viewpoint.)

--
Franck Arnaud ~ email: address@hidden