lout-users

Re: Re: Can anyone save my sanity -- help me to understand filtering?

From: Graham Douglas
Subject: Re: Re: Can anyone save my sanity -- help me to understand filtering?
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 22:50:43 +0400 (MSD)

Uwe, you're quite right, it was stupid of me not to
post an example and I apologise.

The basic functionality I want to achieve is the
ability to run an interpreted language called
Lua, with which I'd like to create PostScript graphics
-- EPS files. It is just an experiment but that's what
I'd like to do -- dynamic EPS generation.

OK, I think I may be getting somewhere... I compiled
Lout and found the line where system() is called. I
inserted a breakpoint and did a disk search for
a file called louti1, and found it. Examining the content
fixed part of the puzzle for me, I think, So here's my attempt
to explain what *I think* is happening. Please
tell me where I am wrong.

Suppose that I define something called @Lua:

def @Lua
right x
{
def @Filter {Lua @FilterIn > @FilterOut}
}

[[Aside: The command to run Lua is, not surprisingly,
"Lua". A command called "dofile(...)" makes Lua run
a file eg

dofile(foo.lua)

makes Lua run "foo.lua"]]

When I execute Lout with, say,

@Lua {
dofile("c:\\lua\\hello.lua")
}

then Lout creates a temporary file
(expands @FilterIn) called louti1
which then has the string

dofile("c:\\lua\\hello.lua")

written into it. Am I right so far?

Now, Lua is called with the CONTENTS of
this temporary file (louti1) as its argument so
Lua sees

Lua dofile("c:\\lua\\hello.lua")

and (with Lua) the output is written to stdout
by default which is then piped (correct term?)
to the second temporary file created from the
expansion of @FilterOut -- a temporary file
called lout1, or similar, is created for the purpose.
Lout then reads the content of lout1 and you're done?

Well, almost. The bit I still have to crack is how
to get Lout to do an @IncludeGraphic from
a situation where Lua outputs EPS code.
Working on that now but any pointers based
on the @Lua example about would be great.

Best wishes and thanks to all for
putting up with my troubles -- no pain, no gain I
guess (the gain had better be worth it ;-))

Thanks to all especially Uwe.

Graham