lout-users

Turning on generation of table of contents completely ruins document

From: Kris Gijbels
Subject: Turning on generation of table of contents completely ruins document
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 02:27:17 +0100

Hi all,

I have experienced a very annoying problem with lout. I'm giving lout a try
for a report I have to write (which is due in 2 days I might add!). I just
tried turning on the generation of a table of contents in the report which
then completely ruined it. The problem seems to be caused by a set of code
examples for which I defined a macro:

macro @STCodeExample { @IndentedDisplay @F @Verbatim }

Lout generates a lot of errors like:

lout filter file "lout1" (from "apprenticeship_report.lout" line 117):
     2,1: 23.312c object horizontally scaled by factor 0.65 (too wide for
15.143c paragraph)
     5,1: 21.450c object horizontally scaled by factor 0.70 (too wide for
15.143c paragraph)
     8,1: 22.381c object horizontally scaled by factor 0.67 (too wide for
15.143c paragraph)
lout filter file "lout2" (from "apprenticeship_report.lout" line 134):
     2,1: 24.243c object horizontally scaled by factor 0.62 (too wide for
15.143c paragraph)

Each example is then torn apart and scattered over a set of following pages.
Although this makes my document meet the minimum amount of required pages, I
don't think my teachers will be quite happy about all the white space.

As a beginning lout user I really don't understand why turning on chapter
generation would have this effect. (yes, I tried deleting all lout-generated
files and then regenerating the document)

Please help! :)

S!