lout-users

Re: Preface in Contents Error

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Preface in Contents Error
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 09:29:34 +1100

Hmmm, there seem to be two bugs here.  The first is a tiny one:
according to the book setup file, the default value of
@PrefaceInContents is Yes; but in the bookf file the default
value that actually appears there is No.  So this explains why
Dave saw a difference when he replaced

    # @PrefaceInContents  { Yes }

by

    @PrefaceInContents  { Yes }

in the setup file: despite what it said this actually changed
the value of @PrefaceInContents from No to Yes.  Unfortunately,
having now successfully asked for the preface to be in the
table of contents, Dave hit another bug:  the code for sending
entries to the table of contents is written on the assumption
that the table of contents will be earlier in the final printed
document than the point the entry originates from.

This is true in every case except one: a preface that precedes
the table of contents.  So I will need to modify the contents
code to handle this case.  It is quite straightforward but
will take a bit of time; I will have to leave it to the next
release of Lout.

As always, when these things happen they leave you wondering
how come they were never discovered before.

If this fix is needed urgently, let me know and I will bump
it up my scale of priorities.

Jeff Kingston