lout-users

Aligned Displays in Lists

From: Albert Kinderman
Subject: Aligned Displays in Lists
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:35:33 -0700

Is there any way to align displays consistently within and across list
items?  I give math exams, where each problem is an item in a numbered
list.  Suppose I want my students to solve two equations in two
unknowns.  The two equations will be displayed with
@RawAlignedCentredDisplay, aligned on the equal signs, inside of the
@ListItem.

I have discovered the following:

The @BeginAlignedDisplays and @EndAlignedDisplays must be located
separately within each @ListItem.  The begin and end cannot be placed
outside several list items.  It appears that a list item is a "large
scale structure" that cannot be spanned (in accordance with the users
guide).

The centering of the displays is relative to the width of the other text
in the list item.  If you have three list items in a row, all containing
the same two equations, they will appear as follows:

1.  Solve:
    x + y = 2
    x - y = 0

2.  Solve the following equations:
             x + y = 2
             x - y = 0

3.  Solve the following two equations in two unknowns:
                       x + y = 2
                       x - y = 0

Is there any way to get the equations to be centered relative to the
width of the page or aligned consistently across list items?

Al

Albert Kinderman              California State University, Northridge
address@hidden     Department of Management Science