lout-users

Re: GUI for Lout

From: Henrik Martensson
Subject: Re: GUI for Lout
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 09:13:26 +0200

Hi,

Why not use XML? It would be a fairly easy to map Lout commands to an XML
DTD (XLout?). All that is needed then is to write a filter that converts the
XML documents to Lout.

>From what I've heard, Python has excellent facilities for handling XML, so
it would probably be a very good choice for the filter language. (Most XML
developers are very enthusiastic about using XSLT for filtering, but XSLT is
very poor at character conversion, and has a number of other shortcomings.)

There are several advantages to using the XML2Lout approach:

* Much quicker and easier to implement than to write a decent
  Lout editor.

* It would be very easy to update the "XLout" DTD and XML2Lout
  filter when Lout is updated, a lot easier than
  updating a Lout editor. (A well designed DTD and filter would
  make it possible to add new commands to the DTD and have them
  correctly converted without changing the filter at all.
  Extending the editor functionality would then be a matter of
  updating the DTD only. Even non-programmers can learn how to
  do this fairly quickly.)

* An entire range of editors would become available, from
  free editors like Emacs to commercial products like XMetaL,
  WordPerfect and ArborText Publisher, to name a few.

* Other XML processing tools, like databases, translation tools
  and browsers would be available for use.

* It would be easy to write filters that transform other kinds
  of XML documents to "XLout". This would make it possible to
  write documents that are usable in other contexts than print
  publishing, and still use Lout when printing.

* It would be possible to use sophisticated linking technologies,
  like XLinks and Topic Maps. (An XLink-based topic Map framework
  for XML is under development.)

/Henrik