lout-users

GUI for Lout

From: Steven Baker
Subject: GUI for Lout
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 19:18:56 -0400

I am currently in the design process of a WYSIWYG editor for Lout
which will most likely be written in Python.  I know this is
controversial for some, but as much as I like to write my own Lout
documents by hand, it is sometimes nicer to be able to see things
right away and not worry about formatting---especially for shorter
texts such as letters, or most of my homework.

I have been mucking around the Lout code recently and seeing some of
how it works, and I have done some looking earlier in the year as
well...  I am wondering if there is a high-level way (perhaps via a
simple function call, or a few in sequence) that will evaluate a Lout
command and produce the PostScript output immediately?

Of a more important concern, are there any obstacles in the design of
Lout that may impede my ability to evaluate Lout commands.  Basically,
I don't want to have to rewrite a lot of the implementation for
PostScript output, I just want to grab it.

For those of you that are concerned, I will probably be using Tkinter
in Python, as the Tk Canvas widget looks as though it may be a good
candidate to build the Lout widget on top of.  If further features are
needed, at the expense of portability, I may use PyGTK+.

Anyways, some answers would be greatly appreciated.

Another thing I'm curious about is where the seemingly odd naming
scheme for Lout source code files comes from?  z??.c is just a bit
hard to remember where certain parts are found (although a simple
Python script to extract comments here, helps!)...  It just seems odd,
but I'm sure there's a good reason for it.

Tia,
-Steven