lout-users

Re: Regarding images in PDF format

From: Mike Dowling
Subject: Re: Regarding images in PDF format
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 10:17:15 +0200

On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 10:32:44PM +0400, Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to embed images in Lout and have them appear in PDF
> output.  But PDF format output ignores EPS format images.  Has anybody
> any ideas how I can embed EPS images in PDF format?  Also, can I embed
> pictures of other formats like PNG or JPEG?

Yes, that confused me, too.

The problem:
You include a epsf graphics file, and try to produce an pdf output from
lout using the -Z or -PDF flags.  The output however cannot be read
using xpdf.

My solution:
Produce a postscript output, and convert that to pdf format using
ps2pdf.  I presume that lout cannot perform the conversion of arbitrary
postscript files.  If so, I have my doubts that it should, as that is
not what lout is there for.  At best, the man page could mention this.

And a Question:
I'm very curious about the PDF format.  Does anybody know where a
description can be found?

I'm curious because PDF files are usually smaller than their postscript
equivalents.  However, I wrote a little postscript file the other day
that was only 1.7 kilobytes is size, and the PDF equivalent was more
than 2.2 megabytes!

Cheers,
Mike