lout-users

Embedding fonts into PDF

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Embedding fonts into PDF
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 03:58:47 +0300

People keeps asking this quesion.  I know that new GS features a much
better distiller, but would people realy prefer to avoid this extra
step?

Anyway, my devoutly aligned, foo resistant, Lv15 Valkyrie had died
miserably and I decided I would have a break.  So after few hours I
had a very rough but working prototype.

I have cut quite some corners to get it working, but my main goal was
to have correct PDF first.  Now that I know how to do it, I can take
care about boring implementation details, like keeping more
information about fonts (that Lout won't use, but PDF requires to be
present), rewrite brute force PFA parsing and so on.

You can take a look at the output at <http://www.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/try.pdf>.

It's some random junk in Russian (the reason was that if you see
cyrillic letters you know you're fine, you don't have to look into the
face shape and guess if your PDF viewer has substituted a font for
you).  It has the cyrillic Literaturnaya embedded.  I tested it with
Acrobat, GS and xpdf (with t1lib).

This code will *not* go into forthcoming 3.18 since it's not even a
pre-alpha, it was just a proof of concept (e.g. it has several values
specific to Literaturnaya hardwired into code, since Lout doesn't read
them currently).

SY, Uwe