lout-users

lout: M-W's Word of the Day (forwarded)

From: Greg A. Woods
Subject: lout: M-W's Word of the Day (forwarded)
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 15:33:35 -0500 (EST)

Lout (verb):  to bow in respect.

Let's hear it for Olde English!

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
Sender:       Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day              <address@hidden>
Date:         Fri, 18 Feb 2000 05:00:00 -0500
From:         address@hidden
Subject:      lout: M-W's Word of the Day
To:           address@hidden
Approved-By: address@hidden

The Word of the Day for February 19 is:

lout  \LOUT (rhymes with "out")\  (noun)
     : an awkward brutish person

Example sentence:
     Kim reluctantly accepted the invitation to her friend's wedding,
knowing she'd have to spend the entire day masking her opinion that the
groom was a lout.

Did you know?
     "Lout" belongs to the large group of words we use to indicate an
undesirable person, a boor, a bumpkin, an oaf, a dolt, a clod. We've used
"lout" in this way since the mid-1500s. As early as the 800s, however,
"lout" functioned as a verb with the meaning "to bow in respect." No one is
quite sure how the verb sense developed into a noun meaning "a brutish
person." Perhaps the awkward posture of one bowing down led over time to the
idea that the person was personally low and awkward as well.

- ----------------
Brought to you by Merriam-Webster Inc.         http://www.m-w.com
- ----------------

unsubscribe from the Word of the Day mailing list.

To subscribe to the list by email, send a blank email to
address@hidden
To unsubscribe via email, send a blank email to
address@hidden

If you have questions about your subscription, write to
address@hidden Send other questions
or comments about the Word of the Day to address@hidden

(c)  2000 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

--
                                                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <address@hidden>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <address@hidden>; Secrets of the Weird <address@hidden>