lout-users

Re: Lout and Latin-2 + True Type

From: rafal polonski
Subject: Re: Lout and Latin-2 + True Type
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 19:32:14 +0100

On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 08:58:23PM +0300, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
> > http://www.netspace.net.au/~mheath/ttf2pt1/
>
> Gee, thanks for the pointer.  I was looking for a free convertor for
> quite some time.
Unfortunatelly pure conversion between these formats AFAIK is not possible.
It is written in comp.fonts FAQ
If font was hinted well, conversion mechanism will aproximate it and we will
lose
font creator's good work.
So if your hardvare understands type42 format it's better encapsulate TTF into
postscript
"shirt" than convert font. Of course Uwe you are right, type42 is not
acceptable by all hardvare. But lout+ghostscript makes great tandem for printing
and latest beta version of ghostscript helps me making beautifull pdf files from
postscrip generated by lout.

TTF to type42 is available here:
ftp://ftp.giga.or.at/pub/nih/ttftot42

bye