lout-users

Re: intro pages to doc / Linux collation problem

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: intro pages to doc / Linux collation problem
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 19:55:40 +0300

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 05:32:59PM +0200, Mikko Huhtala wrote:

> I'm also still having the problem of 'Lout runs not converging' that was
> discussed here some time ago. The problem is with Linux? Is there
> a fix for it I can apply, or do I wipe my hard drive and get FreeBSD? I
> cannot get intro page numbers using normal reports or my own abused
> version of docf ('unresolved cross reference @Roman&&1' etc.) in Mandrake
> 7.0 (kernel 2.2.14). I also had the problem on Irix 6.5, where Lout was
> compiled with the SGI MipsPro CC.

You have to verify that the following assumptions hold for your
collation rules:

    . TAB is collated before printable characters
    . blank space and punctuation are *not* ignored in collation

Unresolved @Roman&&1 xref looks hints that the first assumtion doesn't
seem to hold.  This is easy to verify, look at the standard.li and
check that 2&&1 line goes before 2&&10 line (where 2 is the number
assigned to @Roman, i.e. there's a line 00symbol 2 @Roman at the
beginning of the file).

> Which would be easier, to modify @Report to do multiple
> @BeginSections or to get the intro pages to work right in
> @Documents?

If you don't have "unstructured" text outside large scale structures,
I think, I would start with "reportf", avoiding redundant @Text
galley.

SY, Uwe