lout-users

Re: Another problem

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Another problem
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 10:23:59 +0300

On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 01:09:41PM -1000, Robert Valliant wrote:

> I am almost finished with another form.  However, here is the
> problem: when I use 'i { ctr }' in the format (below) it offsets the
> cell to the right and throws the table out of whack.

Not sure what exactly do you mean, but Lout has a glitch when you try
to use nontrivial costraint-satisfaction in the very first component
of the galley.  E.g. for your table

    @Doc @Text @Begin
    @Tbl { ... }
    @End @Text

will throw other columns to the right.  Is that what you experience?

It seems as if lout simply assigns all the available width to the
first column for the purpose of placement.  But other columns can
still receive all the remaining width for the purpose of the width
calculations.

To better visualise the effect, open the output, ask your viewer to
show the bounding box, so that you can see where real page edges are,
and set media type to Ledger.

You'll see the table cut apart after the first column the right block
shifted to the right, starting at the right page marging (i.e. after
the right edge of the text galley).

The bug goes away if you have something before the table, e.g:

    @Doc @Text @Begin
    @DP @Tbl { ... }
    @End @Text

will format ok.