lout-users

Re: Lout for dictionaries

From: Mark Summerfield
Subject: Re: Lout for dictionaries
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:53:26 +0000 (GMT)

Stewart,

I see you are a perl programmer. I've used lout generated by perl to
produce the CHEST Directory & Handbook (see
http://www.chest.ac.uk/chestdirectory/handbook.html) which has quite a
complex layout with around a hundred half page entries then nearly a
thousand 4 line entries plus a supplier list and two indexes plus adverts.
Every page was produced by lout, only the cover was done separately.
(Coincidentally I gave a copy of it to your colleague Alastair Protheroe
last week.)

I gave up on using Lout definitions, I couldn't really get to grips with
the scoping issues - so I did all macro-type pre-processing in perl instead
which I found easy since I am more comfortable with perl.

As for fonts, Valeriy E. Ushakov sent an email to this list recently that
explained in clear simple terms how to set up additional fonts for lout - I
have no knowledge of fonts or postscript but followed the instructions and
they worked without problem.

Overall I think that lout is an excellent tool, far easier to learn than
LaTeX or groff. When I occasionally have problems an email to this list
always produces an answer that works. I expect to do other projects using
perl + lout because I've found it such a successful combination.

Regards.

BTW In case you didn't know, Lout's home page is at
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/lout/

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:35:51 +0000 "Stewart C. Russell"
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm evaluating Lout for typesetting dictionaries; so far, it seems much
> easier to customize than TeX, with none of the associated
> font-installation horror.
>
> I'm looking for examples of book layout in Lout. Do such things exist?
> What would really make my day would be a Lout equivalent of Arvind
> Borde's "TeX By Example", which gives example layouts with the source on
> the facing page.
>
> Is the Lout FAQ still maintained? All I can find is the skeleton of a
> document written in 1997.
>
> --
> Stewart C. Russell            Analyst Programmer, Dictionary Division
> address@hidden        HarperCollins Publishers
> use Disclaimer; my $opinion;  Glasgow, Scotland

Mark Summerfield         CHEST Software Manager         address@hidden
http://www.chest.ac.uk   EduServ (CHEST), PO Box 2674, Bath, BA2 7XY, UK
Tel +44 (0)1225 826043   Fax +44 (0)1225 826177       Mobile 0403 535803