lout-users

Add-on font packages (Was: lout output in ghostscript)

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Add-on font packages (Was: lout output in ghostscript)
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 21:40:57 +0400

On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 09:26:38PM +0400, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:

> I recall someone recently proposed (volunteered? :-) to prepare such
> add-on packages for popular font families, so doing this for Latin2 or
> Cyrillic will be in line with that proposal and, I think, with the Tao
> of Lout.  I was somewhat cold towards the idea at the time, but giving
> it a second thought, I now think that's good to have a packaging
> scheme like that.

Oh, and of course these packages should include the fonts (pfa) as
well, if licensing permits redistribution.

And the PDF backend should be extended to handle fonts embedding, PS
output is generated in one pass and we can't go back and insert
%%IncludeResource into the document setup (and, as I wrote, since one
can want to trade increasing the print job size for reduced consumtion
of printer's memory).

In PDF, OTOH, embedding of fonts can be postponed to the end of the
run, since PDF uses a xref table to have random access to document
internals.

Unfortunately, "font" subdirectory is already used for AFMs.

And fontdef should be extended to mention the font file as well.  At
this point I think it's reasonable to make fontdef's descendant to use
named parameters to accomodate for possible future extensions.  E.g.
off the top of my head:

    @FontDef
      @LoutFamily  { Times        }
      @LoutStyle   { Base         }