lout-users

Re: Layout Problem

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Layout Problem
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:53:07 +0400

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 04:36:27PM +0200, Matthias Teege wrote:

> I think in "minipages" from (La)TeX. Is there an equal command in lout?

Expert's guide have extremly simple mini-pages (see doc/expert/mydefs,
@LittlePage &co), but as far as I can tell, those are different from
LaTeX concept of minipage.

> I use a 3 column Layout but in my Layout the left column has another
> format as the two on the left side.

Columns from Lout standard layout are created "equal", I don't think
it's easy, if at all possible, to make them different, especially in
the multipage case.

I don't think you can stretch @Document to do what you want.  While
this might sound outright unhelpful, but your best bet is developing a
new layout (by extending @DocumentSetup) rather than trying to fight
assumptions made by @OrdinarySetup that simply does not hold in your
case.

I conclude from what you've written that this is going to be a tool
for long term use, so investment of effort in these early stages will
save you scalability troubles in the future (multipage flyers &c).

Out of curiosity I counted "interesting" lines of code in reportf from
3.10 and it was ~120 lines out of ~900, others being *highly*
stereotyped.  Since flyers are structurally much simpler than reports,
I'd estimate total of ~300 lines of code for your "flyerf"
(e.g. slidesf is 291 non-blank, non-comment lines long).

SY, Uwe