lout-users

Re: Use of Lout

From: Peter Samuel
Subject: Re: Use of Lout
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:56:31 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Mark Carroll wrote:

> I've been meaning to get around to learning Lout for some time, and may
> have an incentive in the form of a forthcoming presentation. Can I ask
> what people think of how easy it is to use it to create diagrams? e.g.
> let's say we need a few boxes around linked by lines or arrows, with text
> in the boxes or on the lines, is that easy to do? Or is Lout better for
> more textual documents and expects you to include such diagrams with
> encapsulated PostScript or whatever?

I find it easier to use a graphical package (I use xfig) to generate
the diagrams. I export them in EPS format and get lout to include them
using the @IncludeGraphic clause. I find it easier to do this than to
fathom the lout @Diag and @Fig syntax. (I felt the same about pic when
I used troff, but troff won't allow you to include EPS)

Regards
Peter
Peter Samuel                                address@hidden
Technical Consultant                        or at present:
eServ. Pty Ltd                              address@hidden
Phone: +61 2 9206 3410                      Fax: +61 2 9281 1301

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"