lout-users

Re: lout on the mac

From: Vincent Tan
Subject: Re: lout on the mac
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 05:45:43 +0400 (MSD)

Jim,

> I have some friends who are interested in using lout
> in a Macintosh environment.  Has anyone done a port,
> or been able to compile the source on a Mac?

when I wrote the PDF backend for Lout, I did most of it on a PowerPC build
of the Lout source code (using CodeWarrior). The user interface was fairly
crude however since it was just the CodeWarrior SIOUX dialog which
emulates a command line. If you're interested, I can dig up the project
and send it to you. (I was meaning to build a decent GUI for it but I've
never gotten around to it).

Someone else has previously built Lout for the MPW environment and used it
from there. This may be a better alternative since MPW's shell has similar
capabilities to the unix shell. I have not explored this way of doing
things but I don't think it would be difficult to do. MPW is available for
download at:
<ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_Chest/Core_Mac_OS_Tools/MPW_etc./>)
The Read Me file contains info on what to get and how to install it.

"Good luck, Jim!"

Vincent.