lout-users

Re: Is lout good for this?

From: Tamas Papp
Subject: Re: Is lout good for this?
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 19:20:34 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Pawel Turnau wrote:

> Dear lout experts,

even if the letter is not addressed to me, I'll answer :)

> I am going to typeset a mathematics textbook for 10-year-olds. It will
> contain a lot of diagrams (most of which I intend to program manually
> in postscript), drawings and other images, as well as text and some
> very simple formulas. Do you think lout would be a good tool for the
> task?

It is an excellent tool, especially for these kind of things. I don't know
if the book will be in English, but lout handles other languages well too
(I'm using it for Hungarian/English/Spanish.) Before starting, you should
go through the User's Guide and the in-depth manual (the expert's guide or
something like that), though the latter is not absolutely necessary, but
might help you lot (especially if you want to make your life easy/the book
visually interesting.) Formulas work fine too, and IMHO the syntax is much
more consistent and simple than (La)TeX's.

Regards,

jabberwock

#   "Users?" cried the Consultant in disbelief. "Users?! You mean
#   secretaries, accountants, architects. Manual laborers!"