lout-users

Re: 3.13: Word baselines

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: 3.13: Word baselines
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 07:48:02 +0300

On Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 11:14:28PM -0500, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> > The other pieces are necessary.  First, a proposed @WShift symbol
> > (tentative name), that would apply implicit @VShift to every word in
> > it's right parameter.
>
> I'm fairly new to lout; why doesn't @VShift serve?  Or does it just
> awkward, while @WShift would be less awkward?  And doesn't it make
> sense to have @VShiftWords and @HShiftWords?

@VShift has an implicit @OneRow effect, thus you can't apply it to a
large quantity of text and get what you might expect, since it will
make that text into one unbreakable line.

> > Second, x-height should be exported as a length unit, say `x', so
> > that @Eq could use 0.5x @WShift to move the mark where it expects it
> > to be.
>
> Hey, that's a cool idea.  (But 'x' is already a modifier, is that OK?)

This should not confuse lout, for you can't specify a gap mode without
specifying a length unit.  This will definitely confuse humans ;-).
(Also I forgot the minus sign in the example you quote from my
previous email - it should be -0.5x @WShift to move the mark 0.5x up
from its current position, which will be the baseline).

SY, Uwe