lout-users

Re: Automagical re-running of lout?

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Automagical re-running of lout?
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:15:43 +0300

On Tue, Jan 26, 1999 at 12:45:11PM -0000, MatЛj Cepl wrote:

> just having an idea: would it be possible to get into lout another
> option, that it would re-run itself when only "Unresolved
> cross-references" occurs?

There's a perl script `lc' by Paul Vixie that does this, although it
doesn't permit to use stdin.

I have posted a makefile rule to do the same thing and it should be
easy to transform this into a script.

As Jeff has pointed out, the lack of "unresolved xref" errors doesn't
necessary indicates that formatting converged.  A shure way is to keep
the output from the previous run and perform a comparison.  This has
the disadvantage that you have to have enough disk space to keep the
two output files at the same time.

> Would it be possible to add some option (e.g., -r like --rerun) with
> parameter maxrun (to prevent endless loop when some real error occurs and
> with default value, let's say, 2) to enable lout in colon?

This will require a major cleanup after formatting is complete so that
the new iteration would be equivalent to a fresh run.  I don't think
it worth the effort.

With a script you can control which strategy suits you best: tracking
"unresolved" messages or performing a comparison.

SY, Uwe