lout-users

characters

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: characters
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 13:43:27 +1000

> Jeff, will you be so kind as to comment on this?

Everything Uwe says is true.  Unicode would solve all these problems.
But specifically on the glyph-building one, it would make sense to
offer what I believe TeX people call "virtual fonts" which provide
a mapping from character codes to arbitrary objects.  But that is
not necessary to build accented characters, since these can be done
by Lout from the info in the LCM files, if anyone cared to enhance
it to do so.  Although I am not sure how Lout would know whether it
needed to build characters in this way or not.

Jeff