lout-users

Re: Space between words

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Space between words
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 04:14:58 +0300

On Fri, Nov 27, 1998 at 08:59:52AM +1000, Jeff Kingston wrote:

> Yes, Lout does have a lower limit, but unlike TeX Lout never actually
> gives up on any paragraph.  So the more important question is how
> does Lout compare a very tight line against the alternative, hyphenation
> or having a very loose line.  I'll do some debug runs on your paragraph
> and maybe alter the weightings.

Does it make sense to export these knobs as named paramteres to
@Break?  Different countries seems to have slightly different
typographic traditions, including variations of what is considered
good/acceptable spacing.

E.g. some constraints for russian (from an editors' reference book) are:

- optimal spacing is 0.5f

- spaces in one line should be equal

- spacing in adjacent lines, if different, should be close to each
  other (function space(lineno) should be "smooth")

- space between words in different font sizes should be equal to
  spacing for the bigger font

- maximum stretch depends on a type of publication (book dictionary),
  page size and font size.  E.g. for books and font size under 12p the
  maximum spacing is 0.75f.

  minimum spacing is 0.25f

- varying intra-word (inter-letter) spacing to achieve acceptable
  inter-word spacing is preferrable to breaking inter-word spacing
  contraints.  Stretch +1p, shrink -0.5p.

- all outdented paragraphs should have the same (+-1p) outdent amount
  reagardless of their font size

- last line of paragraph should be 1) at least 1.5 longer than
  paragrpaph indent, xor 2) at least 2f if there's no paragraph
  indent, or paragraph is outdented.

- final space in the last line of adjusted or outdented paragraph
  (Lout's automagic &1rt) should be at least 1.5f or the final line is
  adjusted to be full line.

- final space of paragraph w/out paragraph indent should be at least 24p.

SY, Uwe