lout-users

hyphenation problems

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: hyphenation problems
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 08:43:03 +1000

I agree with everything Uwe just said.  Even with the bug in the
definition of &- fixed (and heaven knows how it got there), Lout
is forgetting to insert the - sign.

I'll look into these problems and make sure they are fixed for
the next release.  Meanwhile you can turn hyphenation off in
a particular word by enclosing it in @OneCol, as in

    Nur Anleihen von @OneCol Daueremittenten

Incidentally, hyphenation points are determined by a file of
hyphenation patterns pinched from the TeX world, in this case

   $(LOUTLIB)/hyph/german.lh

The format does allow for individual exceptions, as you can
see for example in $(LOUTLIB)/hyph/english.lh which contains

Exceptions:
as-so-ciate
as-so-ciates
dec-li-na-tion
oblig-a-tory
phil-an-thropic
present
presents
project
projects
reci-procity
re-cog-ni-zance
ref-or-ma-tion
ret-ri-bu-tion
ta-ble

So another solution would be to add

Exceptions:
Dauer-emissionen

at the appropriate point in german.lh and delete the packed file
german.lp to force Lout to rebuild it.  This should make Lout find
the right hyphenation point, but whether it will insert the - is
something I have to check again.  This is probably the best long
term solution if Dauer-emissionen is a word in common use (is it?).

Jeff