lout-users

Re: Font metrics strangeness

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Font metrics strangeness
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 00:27:05 +0400

On Mon, May 18, 1998 at 12:07:25PM -0700, address@hidden wrote:

>     @Document
>         @InitialFont { Palatino Base 12p }
>
> produces output with crude and sloppy letterspacing and which provokes
> "Font 'Palatino Roman' has bad BBox" warnings from Adobe Acrobat
> Reader. (BTW the new -Z option is pure joy!)
>
> Replacing the contents of font/Pa-Rm with those of a more recent
> Palatino Roman AFM file (por_____.afm from CTAN) produces some
> improvement in this case, but letterspacing is still sloppy and (since
> the FontBBox values are unchanged in the new AFM?) "bad BBox" messages
> continue.

Hmm, Acrobat Reader ships with only Times, Helvetica, Courier, Symbol,
ZapfDingbats Type1 fonts and AdobeSansMM and AdobeSerifMM Multiple
Master fonts.  No Palatino.  May be this is the problem.

GhostScript uses URW Palladio L for Palatino and it looks ok.

Acrobat reader on my machine instantiates a MM font to approximate
Palatino and looks ugly - but that's expected as letter widths are
different so kerning goes astray.

As for bad FontBBox - it's strange.  Lout uses this information to
produce PosScript or PDF.  But it doesn't emit anything about font
metrics.

> Brief experiments with Lout's other fonts show similar problems,
> whether the corresponding standard Type 1 fonts or Adobe Type Manager's
> generic-substitutional master fonts are called by Acrobat.

Are you shure you have real Adobe's Type1 fonts for them?

PS: I've got Palatino only in Sun's f3b format shipped with my Solaris
boxen, so I can't test it with GhostView/Acrobat.

SY, Uwe