lout-users

Consecutive footnotes

From: Ian Jackson
Subject: Consecutive footnotes
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 96 18:31 GMT

I have a (machine-generated) Lout file containing the following
fragment of markup:

] The source package may not contain any hard address@hidden This is not
] currently detected when building source packages, but only when
] extracting address@hidden Hard links may be permitted at
] some point in the future, but would require a fair amount of
] work.}}, device special files, sockets or setuid or setgid
] address@hidden Setgid directories are allowed.}}
] @LP

When this is processed it looks like this:
                                                  12
 The source package may not contain any hard links  , device special
 files, sockets [...]

This looks like it is referring to footnote 12, rather than footnotes
1 and 2.  I'd rather it produced:
                                                  1,2
 The source package may not contain any hard links   , device special
 files, sockets [...]

I could detect this problem in the SGML processor that generates the
Lout and perhaps insert a superscript comma or something, but it seems
to me that the bug is in Lout instead and that it should be fixed
there.

Any comments ?

Ian.