lout-users

numbered paragraphs, error reporting, etc.

From: Greg A. Woods
Subject: numbered paragraphs, error reporting, etc.
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 96 20:46:16 -0500 (EST)

Has anyone implemented anything like numbered paragraphs?

I've been considering taking docf or reportf and using it as a basis for
legalf, on the assumption that I won't have much luck implementing
something like numbered paragraphs as a simple extension to an existing
layout package.  I'd guess that adding numbering to paragraphs would be
a bit more fundamental a change than could be managed over top an
existing package.

However if anyone has already done this I'd very much appreciate it if I
could get a copy.

On another note, I'm wondering if other folks have any words of wisdom
on how to deal with the *.ld and lout.li files.  In my recent mucking
about with trying to get section numbers with @NumberOf <section-tag>, I
somehow managed to get a *.ld file which had a syntax error in it.  The
result was that I got an error message that referred to the first
@Section in the document even though nothing appeared to be wrong.  Sure
enough when I removed the *.ld and lout.li files and re-formatted the
document, everything came out fine.  Is it generally good practice to
remove these files every time significant syntax errors have been
introduced into a document?  Is this a known bug?

In general I'm having a bit of a time tracking down some types of errors
from the messages I get from lout.  In general debugging lout code gives
me the same sort of feeling I got from my first encounter with the UCSD
Pascal compiler after having been a BASIC hacker for a couple of years.
The error messages sometimes don't seem to have anything to do with the
tokens or even lines on which the actual error occurs.

--
                                                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734                 VE3TCP                  robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <address@hidden>; Secrets of the Weird <address@hidden>