lout-users

Re: Extra space after punctuation marks

From: Blake McBride
Subject: Re: Extra space after punctuation marks
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 22:41:46 -0600

At 08:02 PM 1/16/96 -0500, address@hidden (Greg A. Woods) wrote:

>I've heard claims that it is/was a typographical convention to use a
>"wide" space between sentences, and a minimum "narrow" space between
>words in a sentence.  It is most definitely a feature of troff to note
>the end of a sentence when it encounters in the input either two spaces,
>or a punctuation mark and a newline.  RTFM.

TeX also automatically adds extra space at the end of sentences.  I find it
hard to imagine that Knuth could get this wrong  :-).

>It seems to me this practice of dropping the extra (wide) space between
>sentences is a recent thing (since the mid-80's), and leaves the same
>bad taste in my mouth as does "the new math" and similar so-called
>"improvements."

I agree! (2 spaces)

>In any case, I also strongly feel that Lout needs some improvement in
>this area of treating input whitespace.

At the very least, and regardless as to what's currently "standard", I think
there is enough difference of opinion and taste to warrant an enhancement to
Lout.

--blake

--
Blake McBride                           Algorithms Corporation
615-791-1636 voice                      3020 Liberty Hills Drive