lout-users

Re: German Umlaut in lout

From: ronald
Subject: Re: German Umlaut in lout
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 15:59:01 +0100

Shripad Lale asked:

>How does one get German Umlauts using lout.
>
>Suppose I want to write the word 'Ko"ln' with the '"' over the 'o', which is
>how it is written in German, How do I do it? I know that you can do it with
>the @Char construct. But is there a better way. I cannot imagine writing
>@Char for every German-specific character if I want to create a 50 page
>document in German language. Is there a better way of doing this like spelling
>the word 'Ko"ln' as maybe 'Koeln' or something ? Maybe I have not understood
>the full implications of the @Language construct.
>
>Shri.
>-----

The easiest way is to use an editor that can handle all this, e.g.,
emacs, JED, probably vi and maybe some others.
In emacs (I use version 19.22, don't know about 18.xx) do:

ESC-x load-library RET iso-transl RET
ESC-x iso-accents-mode RET

If you now type "o, you see \366 in your file, indicating that the
character with iso-latin code 366 has been inserted there. If you
want to see the o-Umlaut (provided that the font emacs is using has it)
use

ESC-x standard-display-european RET

If lout has been built according to Jeff's indications, i.e., with 8 bit
input (and 7 bit output), it can format this file correctly.

Hope this helps & viele Gruesse,

Ronald