lmi

Re: [lmi] A fine layout adjustment

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] A fine layout adjustment
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 02:05:37 +0200

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 23:10:43 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> Vadim--On the illustration cover page, {{StateMarketingImprimatur}} is
GC> in the bottom left corner of the enclosing blue box--so far to the
GC> south that descenders actually collide with the box, and also too
GC> far to the west. We'd like to move it a little to the north and east.

 Sorry, I'm afraid that, as recently discussed when speaking about the
asserts due to a too big logo image, there is no good way to do it.

GC> If this were wxXRC, I could just add
GC>   <flag>wxALL</flag>
GC>   <border>2</border>
GC> If this were letterpress, I'd just insert a "lead" (a metal strip
GC> two points thick) underneath, and a "mutton quad" (a 1em by 1em
GC> metal block) or two on the left. I know a way to force it to work
GC> in HTML (below), but my way is:
GC>  - unattractive--too little space on the left, too much below
GC>  - probably not considered "good" HTML design

 Good HTML design is done with CSS which is not supported by wxHTML, so I
think we can just forget about this. As for the unattractive part,
horizontally it's not difficult to improve: you have the choice between
using align="center" for this paragraph too, thus centering it, or adding
more "&nbsp;"s if you want to keep it not centered but closer to the
center. Vertically it's worse as we just can't position anything "at the
bottom of the page" currently, so we can't position it "a lead above the
bottom of the page" neither.

 FWIW my patch adding <header> tag support will make it possible to also
reimplement footers, which are currently implemented using an ad hoc hack,
in the same way, i.e. using a <footer> tag. And if we do this, we could use
a proper footer on the cover page too. But this requires more work (on top
of applying the yet unsubmitted patch) and won't help if you want to
position this text above the footer and not in it.

 To summarize, I'm afraid we just can't do this in any more or less proper
way currently. The only solution is to tweak the <br>s and "%nbsp;"s until
it looks roughly correct (if you squint enough).

 Sorry,
VZ